Rantings of an online junkie: What is a community? Are online friends "Real Friends?"

So as I sit here today in the ventrilo server by buddy Dave hosts, I come to thinking of the question "what is a community?" And can a "gaming community" be as real as a community you might have in your neighborhood?

This line of thinking got me to thinking "Are the people I have become friendly with online qualify as my real friends." Before I go into my thoughts on this, let me give you a little background on why I have pondered this topic for the evening.

Gamehavoc, the gaming community to which I belong, has been my online "home" for close to 3 years. Before that it was Frankenstein CS which became Gamehavoc. Before that, my original home being Chi Mayhem which eventually became FCS. So all in all, I have been around these people in the virtual sense for 5 to 6 years. Yet, I have met very few of them face to face. The only times being for a Gathering which is becoming a tradition at Gamehavoc.

So after that little bit of insight, I came up with the questions listed above and really thought long and hard about them. I came to these conclusions.

  • I talk to these folks just as much as my "real life" friends or people I see every day.
  • I have known many of them for longer than I have known some of my friends.
  • I get insight into their lives and other events through ventrilo, the forums, and other means of communication
  • I have the cell phone numbers of many people within the community and talk to them on a fairly frequent basis.

After coming to these realizations, I can truely say that a gaming community can be as much a community as a neighborhood, a church, or a any other group of people who share common interests. Isn't that what a community is all about after all?

So as you see my answer to the first question, I am sure you can guess my answer to the second. So yes, I believe my online friends, should and are considered as much of friends as the people I see everyday.

Some of these people I am as close to as my normal friends though I only get to see them maybe once a year at the most. They hear bitch and rant and rave about my life as much as anyone other than my wife. They know when I am in a good mood or a bad mood. Hell, they even wish me happy birthday.

So on this wonderful evening in May, I think to myself, I am lucky to have a community to which to belong and I am lucky to have good friends in both "real life" and on the net.

Have a good evening everyone,

NewBreed

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said... March 29, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Hey guys,it is From http://www.gold2us.com

we are selling multiple cd keys and time cards.
Prices are as follows

New wow CD key - 2000-3000 G
BC CD key - 2000-3000 G
60 day Gamecard - 3500-4500 G
WLK CDKEY - 5000-6000 G

we also bought wow gold by real money.
5-8$/K On US And 4-7$/K On Eu

AIM: gold2us2009

MSN: Service001@gold2us.com


yahoo ID: gold2us2009@yahoo.com

ICQ: 478066993

Verified Paypal 4000+ Reputation and 10K $ On Paypal Waiting For U

gold2us.com is an exchange site designed specifically for game virtual currencies and items trading.if you want to Sell WoW Gold, Sell World Of Warcraft Gold, Sell FFxi Gil, you can choose us. We will give you a suitable price. We buy the gold both on us and eu server. u can also Sell WoW Gold US,Sell WoW Gold EU to us

Post a Comment